My Etsy Shop

Thursday 23 October 2014

Lindisfarne Celtic Geometry Pattern

I have mentioned in previous posts that I have many sources of inspiration for my designs but one of my favourite sources is the beautiful Celtic designs created over a thousand years ago throughout the British Isles. These islands have a wealth of Celtic art in various forms and designs can be found in manuscripts, on ancient stonework and on artefacts such as shields or jewellery. I have long been fascinated by Celtic art and when I took up embroidery as a serious hobby, I began looking for designs that celebrated the art that I loved. Although there are Celtic cross stitch designs available, I couldn't quite find what I was looking for.
 
I didn't want Celtic for the sake of being Celtic; I wanted my designs to tell a story and to have links with their ancient roots. So, I found designs that I liked in various books about Celtic art and culture and began to convert some of them into cross stitch patterns. They have often been simplified and adapted to modern colours but each one has its origins in those ancient times.
 
 
 
 
I often think about the original artists as I'm working. I imagine a monk working in the peaceful surroundings of his monastery while he draws out the lines that will help him create an intricate motif to decorate a page from the gospel. Or perhaps there is a stonemason in his workshop, carefully etching beautifully formed knotwork into  a sandstone cross.
 

 
 
These are the people who have inspired me to give new life to these patterns and share them with those of you who want quality embroidery designs that have an authenticity and are a real celebration of the wonderful artwork from the history of Britain and Ireland.
 
 
 
The design pictured here is my Lindisfarne Celtic Geometry pattern. The Lindisfarne Gospels are illuminated manuscripts that were created in the Lindisfarne Monastery of the Northumbrian coast, probably in the early 8th century. This angular geometric style is a common feature of Celtic art and is quite striking. I have used shades of seas green and to give it a modern look. You can of course choose other colours if you wish.
 
You can find it in my Payhip shop or as an instant download in my Etsy shop.

All photos (c) Karen Eley 2014-15

No comments:

Post a Comment