My Etsy Shop

Tuesday 19 May 2015

New pattern - White Rabbit

You may already know that this year marks the 150th anniversary of the publication of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. This has inspired many maker-designers to create new products with an Alice theme.


The white rabbit is the character that Alice follows into the magical world of Wonderland. My rabbit has a background of a Bargello-stlye pattern worked in bright, contrasting colours.


Bargello needlework looks like something that originated from the counter-culture of the 1960s but in fact it is centuries old. In its traditional form it is a form of canvas work but I have translated the technique into cross stitch. Bargello patterns are made by repeating zigzags of stitches to create various shapes. They can be narrow and spiky or wide and curved.


It makes a striking background for the clean, white shape in the centre. White Rabbit is the latest of my designs where I've experimented with open spaces being as important to the design as the stitching, similar to Assisi work. You can also see this in my Summer Solstice and Winter Solstice designs and I have others in the planning.


You can find the pattern in my Etsy shop by clicking the listing at the top of this page or you can head over to my Payhip shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment